Most of us have fond childhood memories of being in the kitchen with loved ones and creating scrumptious meals and treats. As children, we always wanted to help in the kitchen and get our hands dirty, leading us across generations to see the kitchen as a place where family and friends come together to create lasting memories.
Fast forward to today, we live busy lives and most of the time we don’t have the same leeway to fulfil our traditional family duties, let alone the fun parts. Now parents rely on brands to show them the way to do things, easier, better and perhaps a little faster…
Thankfully, Snowflake has a whole range of tricks to roll out when it comes to recreating some nostalgic fun in the kitchen.
Their flour range provides convenient products to help better your baking and cooking experience, even for the little ones – from their baking aids and flour mixes to their Easy Mixes and Creations range, Snowflake is designed to make your little ones baking experience exciting.
As parents, we know that children learn by seeing and doing and what better way to spend quality time with them than by baking their favourite treats. Thanks to Snowflake’s new public recipe hub, South Africans are sharing many recipes on Snowflake’s website for baking with little ones.
These are our top 7 handy baking tips to get you started:
- Wash hands together and ensure they know about keeping good hygiene in the kitchen.
- Add some fun with colourful ingredients and a lot of garnish options.
- Start with an easy recipe with fewer ingredients so kids can be involved from the beginning.
- Create an assembly line where kids can select the various ingredients easily.
- Guide them through the steps and tell them about the ingredients as you go along to make it educational (measurements, where the ingredient comes from, etc).
- To control wastage, let them use a large mixing bowl.
- And lastly, safety is very important and it’s imperative that parents remind their kids what’s ok to touch and what’s not.
Check out these no mess mixes that are sure to have you and your little chefs baking their favourite treats, their way and in record time!
Red Velvet Cupcake Kit
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: Makes: 12 large cupcakes
500g Snowflake Red Velvet Cupcake Mix
2 extra-large eggs
125ml cooking oil
300g velvet icing mix
150g butter or baking margarine
Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Place cupcake mix into a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs, oil and water and add to cupcake mix.
Mix with a spoon until just combined. Do not over mix.
Place paper cups into a muffin pan. Spoon equal quantities of the mixture into paper cups.
Bake for plus/minus 20 minutes
Allow to cool before icing
Butter icing: Beat softened butter or margarine with an electric mixer for 1 minute on high speed until creamy. Add icing mix to creamed butter or margarine and beat mixture on slow until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add milk and beat plus/minus 2 minutes on high speed or until creamy. Decorate with icing and sprinkles.
We would also love to have in our Facebook group, a safe space for moms to share, connect and learn.